The UK & Ireland Mayors, Provosts and Leaders for Peace Chapter held their spring webinar on the 26th of March. With a well-attended meeting of Mayors, Provosts, senior councillors and civil society representatives, the Chapter was opened by the Lord Mayor of Manchester, and it was then chaired by Manchester Councillor Eddy Newman.
The webinar touched on the following issues:
- The Chapter Secretary, Sean Morris, provided an overview of UK & Ireland, European and global progress in the Mayors for Peace organisation.
- Dr Rebecca Johnson of ICAN UK gave an analysis of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, the ICAN Cities Appeal and the UK Integrated Defence & Security Review.
- Anna Lubelska, co-founder of the UK Peaceful Schools Initiative, explained the work of Peaceful Schools and how they could be encouraged across the UK & Ireland.
- Ulrike Eckert, International Officer with the German City of Chemnitz (a partner city of Manchester) provided an overview of the Chemnitz Day of Peace and its peace education plans as part of being a future European Capital of Culture.
- Richard Outram, Policy Officer at Oldham Council provided a colourful presentation of their gingko peace seed project. 10 of the Chapter’s members now have gingko trees originating from Hiroshima, and others are likely to follow.
It was agreed that the Chapter’s next meeting should be on or close to International Peace Day in September. Members were encouraged to support other peace anniversaries.
Please find below the weblink to the presentations given at the webinar: