Over 220 participants took part in a joint webinar that launched the policy work of the European Chapter of Mayors for Peace. Held on the 4th December in association with the UK & Ireland Nuclear Free Local Authorities (NFLA) and the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN), the webinar considered trends in peace, security and disarmament in Europe over the next decade.
The European Chapter of Mayors for Peace will help to focus support on nuclear disarmament and the promotion of safe and peaceful cities across the continent. The webinar and the Chapter has the full and active support of the Provincial Council of Barcelona.
Click here to see the recorded video of the webinar >
There was an impressive speaker list for the webinar, including:
- A video message from Mayor Matsui of Hiroshima, President of Mayors for Peace.
- Opening addresses from Mayor Mayoral of Granollers, Chair of the European Chapter and Beatrice Fihn, Executive Director of ICAN.
- A keynote address on the interaction of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW) and the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) by Dr Tytti Erasto of the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.
- Addresses from the Deputy Mayor of Barcelona, the Mayor of Oslo and the Mayor of Grigny on why they passed resolutions supporting the TPNW and embracing a culture of peace.
- An address from the Campaigns Director of ICAN, Daniel Hogsta on the ICAN Cities Appeal / TPNW resolutions.
- Addresses from a former Lord Mayor of Manchester on its work to promote a safe and peaceful city after the Manchester Arena terrorist attack, and from the Mayor of Braga on the work of the Global Parliament of Mayors.
- A closing address from the current Lord Mayor of Manchester, Vice Chair of the European Chapter.
The success of the webinar will help galvanise the work of the European Chapter into 2021, where further events are planned. The European Chapter’s new website will also be launched imminently. The European Chapter thanks the NFLA and ICAN for their close cooperation in developing the webinar.